For more than 150 years, BGCA has been helping kids reach their full potential.
Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with three women in Hartford, CT; Mary Goodwin, Alice Goodwin and Elizabeth Hammersley.
Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. A cause was born. Boys & Girls Clubs annually serve nearly 4 million young people, through membership and community outreach, in over 4,100 Club facilities throughout the country and BGCA-affiliated Youth Centers on U.S. military installations worldwide.
In1892, the first Boys & Girls Club was chartered in Albany, NY. Later in 1956, the Club relocated to its current location at 21 Delaware Avenue. John Kearney (pictured left), was the first member of the Delaware Avenue Clubhouse. John is still actively involved in the organization and currently sits on the Board.